Did you know that the sea salt content of the oceans is similar to the salt content of our own blood?
We all know already that our body is 75% water.
What maybe not all of us know, is that this water contained in all of our tissues, cells, blood, etc. is a salty water solution, very similar to the seawater…
So, why are we often told that salt is not good for our health?
Sea Salt Vs. Table Salt
As I’m showing in the benefit of drinking water page, we need minerals and trace elements in the electrolytic process that keeps our body alive.
The thing is that there is a difference between the common table salt we buy in stores and the natural salt.
The salt we normally use, may come from salt mines or even from the sea. However, this so called “table salt” is a refined product – it is mainly a kiln-dried sodium chloride with anti-caking agents added.
– Kiln-drying involves scorching salt at high heat to remove moisture. This refining process creates a product that is unnatural and hard on the body. It is the true culprit that contributes to high blood pressure, heart trouble, kidney disease and eczema, among other problems.
It often contains additives like aluminum that makes it powdery and porous. (Aluminum is a very toxic substance dangerous for the nervous system and it has been found to be one of the primary cause of Alzheimer’s disease)
You should be aware of the fact that many table salts labeled “sea salt” are washed or boiled, which removes minerals and trace elements from the salt. These salts are toxic to the body. Beware of “Sea salt” labels. Source: Health Miracles in Water & Salt
Salt in its unprocessed form contains all the vital minerals and trace elements that our body needs – remember, our blood composition is similar to the sea water.
It is not the presence of sodium chloride that is unhealthy for us but the absence of the other elements like Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium.
So, what is the best salt to use and where to find it?
There are two types of natural salt:
1. Salt obtained by the solar evaporation of the sea water.
Oceans are a huge source of salt, but unfortunately they’ve been polluted to a dangerous degree. However, there are places where sea salt is harvested from protected areas, free of pollution.
Celtic Sea Salt Benefits
One of the best brands of sea salt is Celtic Salt, but this is just a name and generally indicates a good quality salt, coming from pollution free sea water farms.
Celtic Salt can come from different places and salt farms like the coastal regions of: France, Portugal, Italy, and also Americas: Hawaii, Peru, California.
These salts are hand harvested and unprocessed. They can be gray and moist or sun-dried.
Their particular composition varies from the region to region, but they all contain the minerals and trace elements of the sea, which are essential for our body, giving them all the health benefits mentioned below.
In addition, Celtic Salt gives a very good taste to the meals.
There are many natural salts around the world, which have have been hand harvested from unpolluted salt farms. With added natural flavors, or just in their pure form sea salt is Chef’s favorite for gourmet meals.
The so called “rock salt” is also a sea salt that comes from underground mines, where salt deposits have been formed after the evaporation of primordial seas or oceans.
So, I should say that all natural salt existing in the world is actually sea salt, whether or not it has been harvested from sea water or from salt mines.
There is plenty of it all over the world but only the unprocessed version is healthy for us.
Himalayan Salt Benefits
One of the most popular rock salt these days is the so called “Himalayan Salt”
According to Wikipedia, “Himalayan salt is a marketing term for Halite (commonly known as rock salt) from Pakistan, about 200 miles from the Himalaya mountains. It began being sold by various companies in Europe, North America, and Australia in the early 21st century.
Himalayan salt became very popular in the last time because of the book written by the seller of the “Original Himalayan Salt” brand. So, if you buy this brand, you better have it analyzed before you consume it.
Good news are that contrary to the author’s claims, analyzes show that Himalayan Salt does contain small amounts of natural iodine, which is actually beneficial for our health.
On the other hand, this salt is considered to have more health benefits than the one collected from the seawater. Because it is hundreds of millions of years old and it’s harvested from the depth of the ground, this type of salt has a beautiful crystalline structure, unlike any other rock or sea salts.
Apparently, this superior structure gives to the Himalayan Salt a higher level of latent energy, which eventually will be transmitted to the water we bathe in, drink, or cook with.
Let’s see what are the Benefits of Salt:
Sea Salt Benefits
Whether collected from the sea, or salt mines, salt – in its the natural form – is a vital element for all living organisms including our selves, with essential health benefits.
Dr. F. Batmanghelidj MD, the author of “You are not sick, you’re thirsty!” explains all the important functions of the salt in our body and its huge importance for our health.
Water, salt and potassium together regulate the water content of the body
Here are only a few of the invaluable benefits of salt:
Sea Salt And High Blood Pressure
Salt is not bad for you. It does not raise the blood pressure
– It is the insufficiency of other minerals that normally hold on to and keep water inside the cells that causes a rise in blood pressure.
– Contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure (in conjunction with water and the other essential minerals).
– One or two glasses of water with a little salt will quickly and efficiently quiet the racing and “thumping” heart and, in the long run, will reduce the blood pressure.
Sea Salt Benefits For Skin
- When bathing, sea salt also give an antiseptic effect to the skin and reduces histamine that causes inflammation and itching sensation. The National Pediatric Hospital, allergy section, has been giving the therapy since 1988 many successful results.
– Sea salt bath can be very efficient in eliminating the toxins of the body while enriching the skin with vital minerals.
- Salt Benefits for gums and teeth
– Sea Salt makes the perfect mouth wash – you can use it to rinse your mouth after brushing or even as a more natural tooth soap directly on the brush. Use it in a 1% salt brine.
Salt Helps Release Asthma And Respiratory Congestions
- Dry Salt naturally soothe allergies, asthma and congestion
– By inhaling salt-infused air, you can calm, regenerate and flush the entire respiratory system for easier breathing. In Europe (mainly Eastern Europe), asthma sufferers are often treated in salt mines – the salt air kills airborne pollutants. Salt, in fact, has been known as the “the first antibiotic.
– It is effective as an inhaler, without the toxicity
– Crystal salt lamps naturally improve the quality of air we breathe by generating negative ions
- Salt can also stop persistent dry cough and clear the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma, emphysema and cystic fibrosis sufferers.
– Put it on the tongue after drinking a glass or two of water.
Salt And Water Regulate Your Body PH Balance
It extracts the excess acidity from inside the cells, particularly the brain cells – if you don’t want Alzheimer’s disease, don’t go salt-free and don’t let them put you on diuretic medications for long!
Salt is vital for the kidneys to clear excess acidity and pass the acidity to the urine. Without it the body will become more and more acidic.
- Drinking salt water from salt springs also helps the digestive system and the elimination of toxins.
– Researchers at Poznan University found that drinking sea water in small quantities can be beneficial to the health because all the minerals it contains.
They give as an example the Native Americans from Utah, who used to drink water from the Great Salt Lake, to enhance the curative factors of their herbal remedies.
Salt Helps Boost Your Immune System
Dr. F. Batmanghelidj MD also believes that salt is vital for the prevention and treatment of the cancer. Cancer cells – he explains- cannot leave in an oxygenated environment.
– When the body is well hydrated and salt expends the volume of blood circulation to reach all parts of the body, the oxygen and active immune cells in the blood reach the cancerous tissue and destroy it.
Sea salt water and Sun work by activating the body’s own healing mechanisms.
Salt Benefits For Emotional Disorders And Depression
- Salt, Water and Sun are essential in the treatment of emotional disorders and depression
- Salt is also important for sleep regulation – it is a natural hypnotic
– If you drink a full glass of water, then put a few grains of salt on your tongue and let it stay there, you will fall into a natural, deep sleep.
Salt And Healthy Eating
When we add salt to the food, our salivary glands are activated, giving us the necessary liquid that will dissolve the food, making it tastier and easier to swallow. Adding good, natural salt to the food is also very important for the digestion.
Salt, Water and Sun are essential in a balanced diet
Salt And Diabetes
Salt is a vitally needed element for diabetics.
– It helps balance the sugar levels in the blood and reduces the need of insulin.